Unoccupied Home Insurance – Empty Property Insurance

Find out about unoccupied home and property insurance and where to get great deals.

Unoccupied home insurance

Reasons for purchasing an unoccupied Home insurance

Your regular home or property insurance will only cover you for a limited time if left empty, something like 30 days or 6 weeks. However, you are not covered if anything happens with your property, if your property is left unoccupied longer than your policy permits.

You will need to buy an unoccupied home/property insurance, if you’re going to leave your home or property empty for a longer time or longer than your policy permits. You can buy this from specialist insurers like Home Protect.

The reason you are only covered for a limited time by your standard insurance is because a house or property is at a greater risk if left unoccupied. There’s further chance of a burglary or a break-in, as it might become obvious to burglars that it’s unoccupied. And, if there are other problems such as a burst pipe, there is nobody there to deal with the situation as it happens.

Your regular home insurance only covers you for a limited period of days. Therefore, you would need to have a unoccupied home or property insurance.

When to Buy an unoccupied Home insurance

  • If the property is going to be empty for a long time.
  • If your property is in-between residency and you are a landlord (check your insurance policy).
  • If the house is going to be empty for a long time for any reason.
  • If you’re going for a holiday for a month or a longer period of time (check your insurance policy).
  • You are redecorating your house and you aren’t presently living there.
  • If the property does not have anybody living there full time (check your insurance policy).
  • You have moved to a new house and your old house is unoccupied.
  • If you have bought a house, but waiting to move in and it is going to some time.
  • A holiday home, which you stay in certain times only.
  • You have a second home, and you live between the two places.
Hiscox home insurance

Length of insurance cover to purchase

There are flexible length of covers that you can purchase. This will depend on your needs. These are:

  • 3 months insurance.
  • 6 months insurance.
  • 9 months insurance.
  • 12 months insurance or longer.

Individualised length of Cover

If you need to insure your house or a property for a particular length of time, such as a month or any specific period, then you should talk to the insurer regarding your specific needs.

If you need cover for a property for a particular period of time, then talk to the insurers regarding your needs.

What does unoccupied Home insurance cover

Unoccupied house or empty property insurance will typically cover:

  • Vandalism
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Flooding
  • Fire
  • Burst pipes
  • Storm
  • Public liability
Landlord insurance

What unoccupied Home insurance might not cover

You will not be covered if you did not secure your home or property before leaving it unoccupied. Check with your policy and ask your insurer.

Cost of unoccupied Home – empty property insurance

The cost of insuring your unoccupied house or empty property will vary pending on a number of factors such as the value of your property, the area the property is located, and the length of insurance cover. As well as, additional factors depending on each individual property. Therefore, it is not possible to give a precise figure. You will also get different quotes from different insurers.

The cost of insurance will vary depending on the length of contract, the are your property is located and the value of your property. It will also depend on the insurer.

Get a few quotes from different companies before you purchase.

Landlord insurance

Which companies provide unoccupied house/empty property insurance?

Here is a list of companies that provide unoccupied house/empty property insurance

Which companies provide unoccupied property insurance?

Here are a few companies that provide unoccupied home and property insurance

Free advice on home insurance

You can get free advice on home insurance from Money Helper, here: Money Helper, Insurance.

Rate this post
Scroll to Top